Dental implants provide a strong foundation for permanent or removable prosthesis (replacement teeth) that are made to match your natural teeth. They are manufactured from biologically neutral pure Titanium or titanium alloys,that is accepted by the human body and these implants fuse with the jawbone to form a secure foundation for tooth replacement.
Types of Dental implants
There are two basic types of implants available at our dental clinic. In certain cases, conventional or immediate implants may be followed by immediate loading of crowns and bridges known as immediate loaded implants.
- Conventional implants are applicable to almost anyone who is looking to replace one, multiple, all missing teeth with a permanent restoration solution.
- Conventional implants are done in 2 stages normally in 2 trips about 3 to 6 months apart.
- Conventional implants may be done for most types of bone conditions. If there is moderate or severe jaw bone loss, bone grafting may be recommended prior to dental implantation.
- Immediate implants are also known as one day or same day implants.
- This is the case whereby dental implants is placed during the same time after teeth are extracted. Crowns, bridge, dentures may or may not be placed on during same trip depending on whether immediate loaded implants may be done.
- Immediate implants are normally recommended only for cases with good jaw bone conditions.
Immediate Loaded Implants
- Immediate loaded implants are whereby permanent or temporary crowns,bridges or dentures are placed during the same trip when the dental implant posts is embedded in jaws.
- Immediate loaded implants may follow after conventional implants or immediate implants.
- Immediate loaded implants are normally recommended only for cases with good jawbone conditions.
The type of dental implants selected will be dependent on the patients’ specific needs and general dental condition. A panoramic x-ray and/or CT scan is usually required to evaluate the amount of bone, determine the space available and for a thorough examination to diagnosing the options best suited for each case.
There are a variety of dental implant systems available on the market. The two most popular systems are the Nobel Biocare implant systems & Alpha Bio Implant system. Both companies have had long-standing histories in the field of producing dental implants and have their own ranges of lines.
Benefits of Dental implants
BETTER S.E.L.F. (Speak better, Eat better, Look better , Feel better)
- Improved self-esteem and increased quality of life
- No need to trim the adjacent teeth to form the conventional bridge
- Improves speech as compared to having dentures
- Improved comfort relative to removable dentures
- Prevent further loss of teeth and bone support
- Improved and younger, natural appearance
- Improved oral health
- Durability. Implants are very durable and have expected life for a long number of years replacement for lost tooth
- No slipping, sliding clicking dentures or worrying about your dentures popping out in embarrassing situations